The curtain rises once again as the 35th Toronto Fringe Festival descends upon the city from July 5 to July 16, 2023. Since its inception in 1989, this festival has captured the hearts of performers and audiences alike, carving a unique niche in the city’s cultural landscape.
The Toronto Fringe Festival’s story began with a revolutionary idea – to provide a platform for artists that transcends the constraints of curatorial selection. Adopting an “unjuried” approach, this festival decided the fate of performances through a lottery system, opening the stage to anyone with an imagination and a story to tell. This bold move paved the way for a diverse array of productions to blossom, celebrating the rich tapestry of human creativity.
Over the years, the Toronto Fringe Festival has been the birthplace of numerous groundbreaking works that went on to conquer the world stage. One such masterpiece is The Drowsy Chaperone, a delightfully witty musical that charmed Toronto Fringe audiences before taking Broadway by storm, winning multiple Tony Awards and leaving an indelible mark on the theater scene.
Another towering success born from the Fringe’s creative cauldron is Kim’s Convenience, a heartwarming and hilarious tale that resonated with audiences and critics alike. This Canadian gem ventured beyond Fringe boundaries, becoming a beloved television series adored by fans worldwide.
The Toronto Fringe is an incredible festival that is a cornerstone of the city’s theatre community, but it has also had a tough time thanks to the pandemic. It needs a big festival in 2023 to set it up for future success. This is a big one Toronto. If you can, please head out and catch some amazing entertainment and support this beloved festival, and in addition consider making a donation. Thanks and happy Fringing.
10 shows to check out
Although there is no shortage of incredible work on display at the Fringe, here are 10 that are diverse and show a range of genres.
Fringing Tips to Get Started
1. Make a Whole Day of It: Plan out your day to see a few shows, while taking a break for snacks and refreshments at the POSTSCRIPT Patio (indoors and outdoors at The Tranzac). Immerse yourself in a day filled with artistic wonders.
2. Allow Room for Surprise: With 100+ shows to choose from, the Toronto Fringe hosts seasoned artists, first-timers, those coming from overseas, and everywhere in between. Take a chance on a show you know nothing about – these are often the most special experiences. Use our online show generator to get a random pick.
3. Going to See Multiple Shows? If you know you will see at least a few shows, the 5-show pass is your best deal, plus you can tap your Fringe Festo Card at any venue and go! FestoCards are available at both Festival Box Offices.
4. Maximize Your Time: A great way to see multiple shows is to group your schedule by venue location. Some venues have multiple theaters, and others are located near each other, making it easier to dive into a series of captivating performances.
5. Be Prepared: You never know what summer in Toronto will bring you. Our venues are air-conditioned, but line-ups are outdoors, so consider sunscreen, water, and anything else you need. (Consider a light layer if you are sensitive to air-conditioning!)
As the countdown to the 2023 Toronto Fringe Festival begins, get ready to embark on a captivating journey of creativity and wonder. With an exciting lineup of performances, an open-hearted atmosphere, and a shared love for the arts, this festival promises to be an experience unlike any other. Don’t miss your chance to be part of the magic!