For many years, a row of historic storefronts along Yonge running south from Yorkville Avenue have been kept under wraps as a towering 1 Yorkville condo sprung to life. As part of the development projects the storefronts were restored with the work being unveiled in 2021. With the condo nearing completion, tenants are beginning to sign on to open up shop in one of the gorgeous buildings across from the Toronto Reference Library.
Anchoring the row is a single building at the southwest corner of Yonge and Yorkville emblazoned with the name Frogley’s at the top. Passing by the building on dozens of occasions since the unveiling, one can’t help but wonder about the history of the name.
Here is what we know.
What is now known as the Charles Frogley Building, at 850 Yonge St., dates back almost to the incorporation of the city of Yorkville, which occurred in 1853. This particular building was built in 1855 for owner George Bostwick.
Bostwick worked as a coal merchant in Toronto, Ontario, until 1884. He died in 1916 on Toronto’s Centre Island. According the a city report, Dr. Arthur Jukes Johnson took over the building in 1875 followed by Charles Frogley in 1883. Johnson continued to occupy the building until 1885, when Frogley apparently kicks old Doc Johnson to the curb to open up a bakery.
The assessed value of the property at this point was a whopping $3,340.