The nurses, doctors and healthcare workers who have been saving lives against all odds in Toronto are getting the recognition they deserve through a world’s best hospitals ranking that placed three Toronto hospitals in the top 50 and one in the top 10.
American publication Newsweek just released their annual World’s Best Hospitals list, ranking over 2,300 hospitals in 28 countries. The list was determined based on submissions from over 80,000 medical experts invited to participate in an online survey, along with results from patient experience surveys and medical key performance indicators on hospitals.
For the fourth year in a row, University Health Network’s Toronto General Hospital has made it into the top 10, this time taking the fifth spot — rubbing shoulders with powerhouses like the Mayo Clinic and John Hopkins Hospital. It received a score of 86.86 per cent.
While the hospital moved down from fourth place in 2022, it earned a higher overall score.
Other impressive local feats include Sunnybrook Hospital earning the 22nd spot with a score of 85.99 per cent, moving up three spots from 25th in 2022 and Mount Sinai Hospital coming in at 26th with a score of 82.99 per cent, moving up one spot from 2022. Toronto’s North York General Hospital also ranked 55th, compared to 64th in 2022, with a score of 81.19 per cent, and Unity Health Toronto – St. Michael’s Hospital earned spot 173.
Other than the five Toronto hospitals, only four other Canadian hospitals made the list, with three in Montreal and one in Vancouver.
Since the pandemic began in 2020, hospitals have had to adapt to ongoing challenges in order to continue delivering high-quality care to patients, including staffing shortages and cuts to health care funding from the provincial government. It’s impressive to see Toronto hospitals still holding their own compared to hospitals across the globe in the face of all these challenges.
These rankings are a reminder of the incredible efforts from Toronto’s healthcare workers to keep our city safe.
Read below for the top 30 ranking:
- Mayo Clinic- Rochester, U.S.
- Cleveland Clinic, U.S.
- Massachusetts General Hospital, U.S.
- The Johns Hopkins Hospital, United States
- Toronto General – University Health Network, Canada
- Karolinska Universitetssjukhuset, Sweden
- Charité – Universitätsmedizin Berlin, Germany
- AP-HP – Hôpital Universitaire Pitié Salpêtrière, France
- Singapore General Hospital, Singapore
- UCLA Health – Ronald Reagan Medical Center, U.S.
- Sheba Medical Center, Israel
- Universitätsspital Zürich, Switzerland
- Universitätsklinikum Heidelberg, Germany
- Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Vaudois, Switzerland
- Universitätsspital Basel, Switzerland
- Stanford Health Care – Stanford Hospital, U.S.
- The University of Tokyo Hospital, Japan
- Brigham And Women’s Hospital, U.S.
- AP-HP – Hôpital Européen Georges Pompidou, France
- Klinikum rechts der Isar der Technischen Universität München, Germany
- Northwestern Memorial Hospital, U.S.
- Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre, Canada
- The Mount Sinai Hospital, U.S.
- Aarhus Universitetshospital, Denmark
- New York-Presbyterian Hospital-Columbia and Cornell, U.S.
- Mount Sinai Hospital, Canada
- Rigshospitalet – København, Denmark
- St. Luke’s International Hospital, Japan
- Asan Medical Center, South Korea
- Allgemeines Krankenhaus der Stadt Wien – Medizinischer Universitätscampus, Austria