It’s the perfect time to fire up the grill and enjoy the warmer weather with family and friends. A family-run business for over 75 years that is renowned as the destination for delivering dream kitchens – both indoor and outdoors – Caplan’s has sponsored a new cooking series that focuses on cooking simple and delicious recipes outdoors. Hosted by acclaimed chefs Rob Rossi and Craig Harding, Open Fire creates delicious, innovative dishes, and one of their favourite recipes is shared with you here.
Chefs Rossi and Harding love using radicchio and orange citrus for salads, as the combination of bitter and sweet is incredible. The smokiness of the grilled radicchio is balanced perfectly with the saltiness of the ricotta salata.
The colour of the different citrus with the radicchio creates a visual feast for the eyes. This beautiful salad can come together very quickly and would be a winner at any dinner party served alongside a steak or fish.
Grilled Radicchio and Citrus Salad with Ricotta Salata
- 2 heads of long red radicchio
- 1 head of white radicchio
- 1 navel orange
- 1 blood orange
- 1 grapefruit
- Ricotta salata
- A few leaves of parsley
- Olive oil
- White wine vinegar
- Maldon or kosher salt
- Fresh cracked pepper
1. Take the 2 heads of red radicchio and slice in half. Season both sides with a sprinkle of olive oil, salt and pepper and a splash of high-quality white wine vinegar.
2. Slice the peels off the oranges and grapefruit and cut into segments.
3. Place the radicchio halfs on the grill at a medium heat. Grill on each side for 2 minutes. If not using a grill, use a cast iron pan on the stove.
4. Tear pieces from the head of white radicchio and place as the base on a plate.
5. Remove the grilled radicchio and after cooling for 10 minutes, slice the core off and place the red radicchio on top of the white radicchio. Gently place the orange and grapefruit segments around the plate. Slice thin slices of the ricotta salata on top of the salad. Tear a few pieces of fresh parsley leaves over the plate.
6. Finish with a squeeze of grapefruit, a splash of olive oil, and a pinch of salt and fresh cracked pepper. Lastly, a final drizzle of the white wine vinegar. Enjoy!
Be sure to tune in to Open Fire, airing weekly on TLN, for more recipes.